Mission & Vision
I-SENSE is one of the Research Groups of the Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS) of the National University of Athens in Greece (NTUA). Founded in 2002, I-SENSE Research Group is committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and research innovation in the field of electrical, electronic and computer engineering & technologies.
Research at I-SENSE focuses on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Virtual Environments, Assistive Technologies, Smart Integrated Systems – Sensors, Communication, Platforms, Mobile Networks and it spans across many disciplines such as Mobility, Environmental Studies, Logistics and Supply Chain, Citizen Science, Cybersecurity, Culture and Resilience to address questions of global significance and local relevance. In the above areas, I-SENSE responds to present-day needs, opens up new networks for action, builds synergies and works together with industry to offer a world-class research environment for critical inquiry and scholarly exchange.
People & Projects
With more than 100 highly qualified researchers and having a long history of involvement in EU funded and National research projects – more than 150 completed projects-, our research team produces outstanding research results that contribute to the targets of the European Research Area (ERA). A strong network comprising of more than 300 international partners, valuable players in the research, policy and industry arena offers our team a nourishing environment for continuous growth and support. Technical expertise and knowledge accumulated over the years has often been translated into innovative results.
10 Research Teams
- Cooperative Connected Automated Mobility (CCAM)
- Intelligent Network Systems (INS)
- Smart Mobility Applied Systems (SMAS)
- Smart Manufacturing
- Circular Economy / Tracing
- Earth Observation and Environmental Monitoring
- Extended Reality (XR)
- Crisis Management and Secure Societies (CMSS)
- Health Technologies
About ICCS: The Institute of Communication and Computer Systems
- More than 800 researchers, scientists and Faculty Members
- 27 Labs in the field of Electrical Engineering
- 6 Research Groups/Units
- More than 1200 EU funded research projects completed
- Ranked among the top 20 European Organisations (Academia, Research, Industry, SMEs) in terms of research funding.
- Ranked within the three top positions in Research in Greece in terms of research funding
- Involved in several Networks of Excellence (NoEs)
“Seeking our research outcomes to make tangible contributions to our societies, research priorities at I-SENSE seek to pave the way to a more resilient, green, sustainable and secure future that places citizenship at its center. Over the last 20 years, ICCS has succeeded in providing an environment where innovation can arise guided by the values of circular and green economy, openess and smart citizenship”
Dr. Angelos Amditis, ICCS Research Director and Founder of I-SENSE Group, R&D Director of ICCS
Following many months of productive research work and technical developments, the i-TRIER partners demonstrated and tested the i-TRIER Triage Management solution. The i-TRIER technologies are