I-SENSE is one of the Research Groups of the Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS) of the National Technical University of Athens. The Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (ICCS) is ranked in the top list of European Research Institutes being very active in a number of Scientific and Research Areas, performing applied research and development in various fields covered by the NTUA ECE deprt. and beyond.
I-SENSE Group is very active in a number of Scientific and Research Areas with main Application Areas the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Virtual Environments, Assistive Technologies, Smart Integrated Systems – Sensors, Communication, Platforms. We are a self-funded large-sized research group, highly experienced in EU-funded research projects proposal writing and execution. The group (~120 people) is divided into smaller dedicated sub-groups including associate research engineers, system engineers/developers, project managers. As part of maintaining and building up our research profile and wide network of collaboration with European automotive OEMs, other institutes and regional authorities, we are active in European and International conferences on CCAM SW-defined systems (e.g. IEEE VTS/IV, ITS, ICRA) and we also serve as advisors for master thesis and PhD students. Finally, I-Sense is currently member of ASAM OpenODD and OpenTest working groups as we try to closely follow the standardization activity in the field of connected and automated driving technology.
I-SENSE is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining the best associates by offering an inspiring and inclusive workplace, in which talent and hard work are truly recognized, developed and rewarded.
As a member research engineer iof the I-SENSE Intelligent Transportation System (ITS)ITS/CCAM group, you will be researching and/or deploying innovative solutions for a broad range of hot topics in the Cooperative Connected and Automated Mobility (CCAM) domain. You will join a team of System/Network/ML/Data Engineers contributing to solving problems that lie in the intersection of Machine Learning and Safety/Time-critical Systems Verification. You will participate in the design, implementation and testing of advanced Machine Learning based Proof of Concepts for investigating the performance capabilities of pre-development Networked and Automated Driving prototype systems, primarily based on vehicular data incl. sensor data, map data and connectivity data as well as available traffic data or drone data. Different methods and datasets are needed for proper testing of each layer of the Automated Driving stack. Contributing to the team’s recent efforts in the field of AD verification and validation (following several recently published/draft international standards), you will explore literature for ways to improve fidelity and trustworthiness of existing testing and verification methodologies for such autonomous complex systems applying mixed-reality studies and getting familiar with open source virtual testing tools (like CARLA) or commercial tools licensed to the lab.
HINT: More details on pretty much all the thematic areas of interest covered or touched by the activity of the CCAM sub-group can be found here.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or a related field. Master’s degree or Ph.D. in a Data Science related area preferred.
- 4+ years of professional experience in related fields (PhD pursuit is considered as equivalent to professional exp.)
- Github updated profile and publications’ list will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience in scientific research projects execution / management will be considered as a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of English (oral & written)
The job offer includes light to mid traveling (to European research project’s partners’ offices)
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Solid understanding of the basic concepts and notions of machine learning, including both classical approaches and deep learning.
- Strong Python programming skills.
- Experience with machine learning frameworks (scikit-learn, PyTorch, Tensorflow/Keras).
- Experience with computer vision (besides deep learning, e.g. with OpenCV) will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience with mobile robotics middleware (e.g. ROS) and/or mobile robotics testing frameworks or frameworks for virtual testing of automated driving perception, path planning, control (Unity, CARLA, ESMINI) will be considered a strong advantage.
- Experience with other programming languages and/or frameworks (e.g Matlab) will be considered as a plus.
- Strong analytical thinking skills for solving complex problems with creativity and attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated and eager to learn new technologies and scientific methods
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team and capability to suggest research directions for the rest of the team based on critical review of the SoA on a specific problem.
- Willing to act as a researcher who closely collaborates with a developers’ team.
- Strong desire to learn and accept new challenges
- Capable to communicate and collaborate with multi-disciplinary research groups in the context of international research and innovation projects
HINT: Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications listed for this opportunity or you have more experience, we encourage you to apply.
The I-SENSE group offers a great career environment in applied research opening the employers’ horizon to an international career. The employee would have the opportunity to work in an inter-disciplinary group while cooperating with major research/academic institutions and well-known companies in Europe and beyond. The positions offer:
- Competitive salary
- Continuous learning
- Interesting and challenging work within large-scale projects
- International dynamic, fast-paced working environment
- Opportunity to work in a diverse and creative environment with talented colleagues
- A clear path of progression, tailored to your talents and ambitions
- Opportunities to travel abroad
The CV and application must be submitted via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please call at +30-210-7723865