COGnitive Logistics Operations through secure, dynamic and ad-hoc collaborative networks
COG-LO is an H2020 project running from June 2018 to May 2021 and deployed by a consortium of 14 partners.
COG-LO proposes a breakthrough approach combining IoT, AI and Analytics technologies, for seamless transport execution across collaborative transport networks. To this end, it introduces the notion of a Cognitive Logistics Object (CLO): any physical object participating in the supply chain (cargo, vehicle, warehouse, parking slot, other transport mode, system, etc.). The project aims to develop the necessary operational, technological and business concepts that will provide Logistics Objects with cognitive and learning capabilities for dynamic route planning, load factor optimization and decision making, while at the same time enhance visibility and trust across logistics chains.
COG-LO objectives and areas of intervention are the following:
- Load factor optimization: COG-LO will investigate the potential of merging and consolidating deliveries in such a way that load factor, run empty rate and in general, resources utilization will be optimized.
- Dynamic response to events and ad-hoc orders: COG-LO will develop a cognitive framework and a tool that will process large amounts of heterogeneous data and will enable understanding, assessing possible alternatives and proposing solutions to unexpected or ad-hoc events.
- Cross-border collaboration: COG-LO will study the potential coming from the growth of e-Commerce and the opportunities for Cognitive Logistics and ad-hoc Collaborations in the context of cross-border deliveries.
- New collaborative models integrating the Digital and Physical Internet: COG-LO will deliver a holistic collaborative and cognitive framework that will allow exchanging information, taking decisions and assessing collaborative opportunities (“Cargo Hitchhiking”) by collecting and processing large amounts of data.
The I-SENSE Group of ICCS is participating at the COG-LO project as a member of the Greek Pilot, and in particular as a linked third party of ITS Hellas. The main responsibility during the project will be to exploit the participation in COG-LO and its relevant results along the following axes:
- Further establishment of its role as the main interface between all National ITS players, active in the domain of logistics/supply chain.
- Maximize the outreach to local and regional authorities/communities and bring out the benefits of ITS deployment for improving the Greek supply chain and relevant business opportunities.
- Assist policy makers to shape a (C‐) ITS National roadmap for freight transport, in line with the European directives.